About Us

Hechal Shlomo was built in 1958 in order to serve as the spiritual and religious center for the Jewish people and the Chief Rabbinate.

In 1946 Chief Rabbi, Rabbi Yitzhak (Halevi ) Herzog (1888-1959) bought land in Jerusalem with the wish of building the Seat of the Chief Rabbinate. The British Jewish philanthropist, Sir Isaac Wolfson, shared this dream and facilitated the construction of Hechal Shlomo. In 1955 Sir Isaac Wolfson established the Wolfson Foundation, a charity that awards grants to support excellence in the fields of science and medicine, health, education and the arts & humanities.

Architect Dr. Alexander Friedman (1935-1980) designed the building. He also designed amongst others, the Jerusalem Great Synagogue, Yeshurun Synagogue and The Museum for Islamic Art in Jerusalem.

The Renanim Synagogue, in Hechal Shlomo, is a small synagogue of singular beauty lavishly decorated in 18th century Italian style. For over 300 years it served one of the communities of Padua. With the dwindling of the Jewish communities in northern Italy, and the immigration to Israel, the synagogue was transferred to Hechal Shlomo where it now serves an active community and is open to the general public.

History of the Building

Invitation to Inauguration

 Invitation to Inauguration  

Dedication

 Dedication 

Commemorative Stamp

 Commemorative Stamp 

The Groundbreaking

 The Groundbreaking 

The Inauguration

 The Inauguration 

The inauguration of the great Jewish court -Beit Hadin Hagadol

 The inauguration of the great Jewish court -Beit Hadin Hagadol 

Candle Lighting

 Candle Lighting 

Yom Hakadish Haklali - Cheif Rabbi Shlomo Goren

 Yom Hakadish Haklali - Cheif Rabbi Shlomo Goren